Malawi Country Director (Manager / NGO / Agri / Donor Grant / Fund / smallholder farm), Zomba, Malawi
Reference Number: MIM
Our client began its pilot in Malawi in 2013 and launched full operations in 2016. They currently serve 13,000 farm families directly with input loans, and an additional 50,000 with their training-only service. They are now looking to hire a new Country Director to help support their next stage of focus as they look to deepen and broaden their impact across the country in the coming years.
Client Description: Our client is a non-profit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty.
As the Malawi Country Director, you will oversee a social enterprise with two programs that currently include around 250 employees across the Southern Region. The role spans four key areas of leadership for which you will lean on both global support and local key deputies:
Strategy and Vision
- You will lead the development of the Malawi country program strategy and vision, collaborating with strategic partners such as the global leadership group and your in-country Steering Committee:
- Develop and refine a long-term vision and 5-year plan for the social enterprise within Malawi.
- Draft annual country goals, including team priorities, R&D projects, sales and impact targets.
- Chair the in-country weekly Steering Committee meeting and lead the annual leadership retreat.
- Identify and address short-term and long-term risks and remove roadblocks to success.
- Ensure decision-making is aligned with both global organizational priorities and local data from clients and staff.
- Represent the organisation externally within Malawi when needed.
- You will work with your in-country Steering Committee, People Lead and all in-country department heads for the following:
- Inspire all levels of staff through celebration of team wins and communication of the organisations story internally.
- Ensure the company values are known and practiced.
- Conduct between 2-4 field visits per month to spot check program execution and to connect with clients.
- Monitor team sustainability and adjust workload where needed.
- Oversee annual roll-out of staff satisfaction survey, among other feedback channels, and the resulting initiatives.
- You will work with your in-country People Lead and all in-country and global department heads for the following:
- Recruit and retain the best talent from both international and national talent pools (closely involved in hiring and promotions).
- Provide big-picture feedback and guidance to 4-6 direct reports through weekly 1-on-1 check-ins.
- Ensure key linkages and communication between in-country department heads and global support.
- Build robust training programs at all job levels to maintain strong leadership development pipelines.
- Maintain a country team organizational chart.
- You will work with our Financial Advisory Services team and global department heads for the following:
- Help lead the annual country budget process in line with goal setting.
- Approve any significant mid-year changes to spending.
- Monitor program financial sustainability and their Social Return on Investment (SROI) performance through monthly Budget-vs-Actual analyses and gross margin decisions.
- Ensure appropriate levels of business controls are in place.
- Provide necessary information and due diligence request support for Malawi-specific funding opportunities.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Our client seeks a truly extraordinary professional for an extremely competitive posting for a senior management position.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, including strong entrepreneurial and leadership roles (e.g. starting a field program in an emerging market, starting a business or social enterprise, managing a growing team, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree required, master’s strongly preferred (e.g. MBA, MPA).
- A willingness to commit to living in Zomba/Malawi for at least three years.
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Preferred start date – ASAP
- Job location: Zomba, Malawi
- Duration - Minimum 3 years commitment - Perm
- Compensation - Offer modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life, performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
- Benefits - Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing
Please apply directly, by clicking on the ‘apply button’
and visit www.caglobalint.com
for the latest CA Global jobs.
The CA Global Group
Should you not receive a response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.