Reference Number: ZAS
MD Mozambique business will ensure focus on country management and retain single point accountability for company’s reputation in-country. This role is a critical element to enabling company’s license to operate and grow in Mozambique. It will ensure that the in-country portfolio is optimally developed, maintained, and managed; and that good relationships with joint venture (JV) partners, government officials, communities where the company operates, NGOs, and all other stakeholders are sustained. This role will be the face of the company with stakeholders, will ensure security of people and assets, and will ensure the effective provision of shared services (host functional services: Finance, Legal, IT, and others). The MD Mozambique Business will also ensure strategic integration across all the company business streams and activities in-country.
- Stakeholder Management:
- Manage Government and Stakeholder Relations, Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs, and Social Investment activities.
- Contribute to developing the Country strategy and distilling the associated long/short term objectives into distinct and measurable implementation plans.
- Oversee in-country reputational management on behalf of company in Mozambique.
- Develop and execute on specific strategies for management of key stakeholders within Mozambique.
- Maintain strong relationships with key decision makers and influencers – involving multiple levels of Government, critical policy makers and other significant contributors (including business associations, labour organisations, NGO’s, think-tanks, etc.).
- Engage with local government administrations to develop partnerships and drive solutions to economic growth and development.
- Oversee Community Development and CSI on behalf of the company in Mozambique by developing and executing on specific strategies and projects.
- Develop, maintain and manage relationships with Joint Venture partners in Mozambique.
- Participate in joint pledges and other Government initiatives in Mozambique.
- Provide an effective liaison and network with other Oil & Gas companies and government energy companies in Mozambique.
- Business Management:
- Accountable for management of the Maputo office: safety, Administration, Human Resources, Legal, Supply Chain, Local Content, IT and shared services.
- Accountable in the mid to long term for delivering the full potential in Mozambique from current operations, planned projects (e.g. PSA) and exploration (supervising the VP Operations and leveraging central resources).
- Accountable for identifying and providing input into the mitigation of risks, and for identifying business opportunities that can be progressed to companies benefit.
- Enable implementation of all country specific initiatives, e.g. Local Content, Work Permits, Skills Development, etc., in collaboration with the functional owners and respective business/project customers.
- Accountable for office cost management, project costs, schedule, and quality of all projects managed by the Country office.
- Oversee company’s investments in JV’s in Mozambique and develop, maintain and manage relationships with JV partners.
- Represent the company with Joint Venture partners and support business streams in project delivery through engagement with JV partners in Mozambique.
- Manage and integrate social investment activities on behalf of all company entities in Mozambique.
- Support company Exploration and Production Operations in Mozambique, working diligently to maintain a business and stakeholder climate that permits E&PI operations to flourish.
- Commercial Management:
- Support negotiations of commercial agreements with Government entities and third parties to ensure that transactions are concluded within the required timeframes and within mandates.
- Ensure maintenance of commercial obligations and source commercial and legal support when required.
- Provide insight into company strategy and commercial transactions from Country perspective.
- Identify and promote to the relevant business units opportunities with commercial value.
- Governance & Risk Management:
- Ensure Country alignment with group functional and governance standards.
- Influence and maintain appropriate board governance through involvement in the Mozambique branch and JV boards and sub-committees.
- Ensure compliance and governance of Country office activities.
- Anticipate, identify, and assess potential issues, risks, and opportunities
- Monitor the potential for new legislation/regulatory requirements, including climate changes, Local Content, price regulation, competition regulation, etc.
- Monitor and understand proposed changes to public policy/regulation and the implication for the company in Mozambique.
Working with the VP Operations in Mozambique to:
- Oil and Gas Operations Management:
- Ensure all key activities conducted in Mozambique are in line and support E&P strategy and plans.
- Serve as leading OME in Mozambique for the company; deliver fit-for-purpose services (Finance, Supply Chain Management, and Information Management).
- Ensure the uninterrupted supply of gas to meet company’s commitments.
- Provide technical and operational assessment of options in support of company’s Growth ambitions in the region.
- Ensure safety of operations at all times for people and environment.
- Deliver production targets (volumes) according to annual and shorter-term plans.
- Manage direct operating costs to ensure maximum possible efficiency.
- Manage and provide in country services related to Supply Chain Management.
- Relevant Bachelor degree and minimum 15 years’ experience in relevant technical, energy or extractive industries.
- Over 5 years relevant Business Development/Commercial orientated experience.
- At least 10 years management experience – including experience working in a political environment; working and negotiating with host governments.
- Working knowledge of Finance, Commercial, Business Development, Governance and Regulatory requirements, and Stakeholder Engagement, Social Investment, and Public Affairs.
- Experience in developing and implementing business strategy and strategic management.
- Highly effective networking experience with key stakeholders in Mozambique.
- Profound understanding of how government policies are developed, together with an advanced Political Analysis capability.
- Expertise in understanding geopolitical interactions, working with different commercial cultures, and leveraging International contributions to investments in-country.
- Deep understanding and experience in General Management principles.
- Strong networking, communication, and leadership skills.
- Experience working in a culturally diverse international organization.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English.
- Strategic thought leadership.
- Business acumen.
- Drives accountability and high performance.
- Fosters teamwork and collaboration.
- Role models’ customer and stakeholder focus.
- Leverages diversity and inclusion.