Based in Accra, Ghana, the Country Manager (CM) acts as the Executive Director of the Foundation reporting to the Regional Director and the Board of Trustees. The CM’s primary responsibilities will be to ensure that the organisation achieves its operational, financial and programmatic objectives with specific deliverables on key projects, governance, fiscal and partnership reporting and HR management.
Working closely with the Board of Trustees and the Regional Director, the CM will pro-actively manage the day to day operational and financial infrastructure and activities to enable the organisation to fulfil its program goals and activities, as prescribed by the program plans.
In addition, the CM will work with the Board to enhance in country fundraising and the active and broad participation by volunteers and donors in year-round activities. The CM will also work with the Program Coordinator to establish sound working relationships with staff, medical and non-medical volunteers and in country partners. The CM will also act as the spokesperson when required.
Founded in 1982, our client has provided hundreds of thousands of safe surgeries for those born with cleft lip, cleft palate and other facial conditions. They are one of the world’s largest volunteer-based international medical non-profit organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
Operational and Financial:
- Oversee and manage an operational plan which will work towards the achievement of the strategic goals and are aligned with priorities;
- Work with Regional Director and country team to develop and manage operating and program budgets
- Ensure all NGO legal requirements are complied with on an annual basis/as appropriate;
- Oversee the efficient administration and running of the office
- Ensure delivery of monthly management accounts for board and Global leadership team;
- Working with the HQ finance department, ensure funding transfers are applied for and delivered on time to ensure operational and programmatic expenditure is efficiently managed
- Work with the Regional Director to ensure all financial reporting are complied with;
- Prepare quarterly Board papers and relevant reports for Board meetings;
- Act as professional advisor to the Board of Trustees on all aspects of the Foundation’s activities;
- Work closely with team to provide reports on foundation achievements and plans to the Regional Director;
- Manage the IT aspects of running an efficient organization with local requirements and for international connectivity
Resource Mobilization and Financial Management:
- Create and develop a viable resource mobilization plan to access funds needed by the foundation;
- Work with the regional director and board to ensure that the foundation operates within budget;
- Identify, cultivate and maintain fund sources and donors for the foundation;
- Conceptualize and formulate funding proposals for the foundation;
- Maintain official records and documents, ensuring compliance with government and legal regulations.
Program, Development, implementation and evaluation:
- Work closely with Regional Director and Global Fellow to support programs implemented by the Foundation;
- To assist in overcoming any challenges presented that affect the implementation of the program activities;
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field and any relevant issues;
- Support the Program Coordinator with the planning, implementation and evaluation of programs and services with the relevant staff;
- Work with the Program Coordinator to contribute to the management of missions where appropriate
- Support the education and credentialing process developed and currently managed by the Program Coordinator and supported by the Global Fellow and Ghanaian medical professionals;
- Effectively collaborate with appropriate government, non-government, international agencies and establish good working relationships with community groups, volunteers, funders and other stakeholders;
- Work with the Program Coordinator to establish regular meeting cadence to ensure all the above.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education to maintain a climate which attracts, keeps and motivates top quality people;
- Ensure that sound, transparent and fair human resource policies and practices are documented, approved by the board as well as aligned
- Ensure all hr management policies are followed through by team members;
- Ensure that regular/annual performance evaluations are conducted and documented with relevant hr recommendations being actioned;
- Lead and/or support recruitment processes as and when necessary.
Stakeholder Relations and Communications:
- Continue management of the Ministry of Health and relevant Ministers, Officers and departments
- Ensure mou is updated and is compliant with Ghana regulations
- Develop, nurture and enhance the relations with donors, prospects, partners, volunteers, local government units, and the community;
- Define and implement an over-all communications plan (inclusive of social media and website) covering the foundation’s program objectives, stakeholders and the public, in general;
- Promote a positive image of the foundation to the public reflecting its advocacy and values.
- Work with brand marketing team to further develop OSG website, social media and other aspects of brand awareness
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant business or international field.
- Master’s Degree in related field considered a strong plus.
- Proven track record in project and/or office management with demonstrated budget management skills
- Within a career, a minimum of 5 years’ management and program experience with an international agency or corporation.
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Able to work diplomatically in a global team-based environment that includes board members, medical professionals, and volunteers.
- Able to accept newly assigned projects or duties as they become necessitated.
- Oral, written, and presentation language skills are required in English (Twi would be beneficial but not a requirement)
- Ability to work off hours (on-call), sometimes responding to calls or e-mails early in the morning, late at night or on weekends.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills and be able to prioritize requests efficiently and effectively.
- Approachable personality with ability to manage stress and communicate needs appropriately.
- Must be a motivated individual with proven ability to lead, coordinate, and facilitate projects and teams.
- Must be able to handle issues with diplomacy, tact and cultural sensitivity.
- Strong experience executing programs preferably in the global health, non-profit arena
- Experience in a medical environment, coordinating with Minister of Health, Hospital Administrations very helpful
- Strong Business Acumen from project management to financial, HR, etc.
Benefits and Contractual information:
Location: Ghana in Accra
Salary: Market related - Neg.
Report to: Local Boards / Sr. Regional Director