General Manager (greenfields project / underground / mechanized / copper) – Southern Africa
My client has acquired a new greenfields project in Southern Africa. They are looking to recruit a General Manager (Head of Mining) who will be based onsite.
Purpose of the role:
The Head of Mining will be responsible for oversight of Mining Operations, the Mining Contractor, Safety, Maintenance, Mining Infrastructure and Mining technical services. Initially you will lead the finalisation of the project study work and overall mining operational readiness. Once the company commissions its mining operations, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of the underground operation which will be designed to deliver world-class performance in a safe and efficient underground mechanised mine, which is aligned with the company’s strategy. Particular attention will be required in respect of skills development and skills transfer as well as Health, Safety and Environmental issues. It is envisaged that the project will commence mid-2017.
- Conceptualise and implement strategies, systems and processes to ensure the safe and successful execution of the project and operation of the mine
- Co-ordinate the transition of the project from a feasibility level project to an execution ready mining project;
- Together with HR, drive the selection and recruitment of team members;
- Assist in the development and execution of staff training plans, and implement localisation plan;
- Co-ordinate the adjudication and selection of the key mining contracts;
- Develop long and short-term business and mine plans to allow development of mining cost (Capital and Operating) and physical budgets, establishing periodic forecasts and reporting for short-term control and compliance to plans;
- Champion new continuous improvement initiatives and act as the catalyst for change
- Constantly improve reporting systems and Key Performance Indicators;
- Monitor performance against budgeted targets ensuring effective cost control; and
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual budget and long term strategies.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- BEng or BSc in Mining Engineering or other relevant technical qualification;
- Mine Manager’s Certificate of competency for metalliferous underground mines;
- Membership of the Engineering Registration Board (ERB);
- Post-graduate qualification in Business Management or relevant experience would be advantageous;
- Minimum of 15 years technical experience and have worked in underground mechanised operations for a minimum of 10 years with increasing responsibilities;
- Minimum of 10 years management experience in underground metalliferous mines, with experience at General Management level preferred;
- Experience in mining studies, mine construction and development, and management of mining operations and technical functions – within an underground mining environment;
- Proven contract negotiation skills as well as contractor management experience, specific to an underground hardrock mining environment
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- The successful candidate will report to the Managing Director and will be based on site.
- The incumbent will be required to travel internationally from time to time
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Residential status, accommodation provided
- 2 year contract
- 4-5 weeks leave (TBC)
- USD gross annual salary subject to 25% taxes
Please apply directly, by clicking on the Apply Button and visit www.caglobalint.com for the latest CA Global jobs.
Senior Executive Recruitment Consultant
CA Mining: Global Recruitment
If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.