Underground Study Manager (expat / mine engineer / feasibility studies / design / underground / diamonds) - Southern Africa
Our client is listed on the TSX, Swedish and Botswanan stock exchanges. This successful mining house is a Botswana based diamond mining company. The company owns the state-of-the-art diamond mine which was commissioned in 2012. Current feasibility studies are underway on an underground extension to extend its mine life further and they are therefore recruiting for an exciting new vacancy: Underground Study Manager
- Reporting to the Technical Director, the Underground Study Manager is responsible for directing the underground expansion study project through external consultants as well as ensuring that the mine continues to achieve the highest standards of open pit mining at the mine.
- The incumbent will provide assurance of the sustainability of the mining operations as well as ensuring timely development of the underground operation through the development of effective processes and controls
- The Underground Study Manager is the lead Mining Technical expert within the company and is responsible for ensuring ongoing excellence in mining practices:
- Leading the underground development project as owner’s representative through:
- Auditable selection process of a contractor to complete the pre – feasibility followed by the feasibility study.
- Holding the contract company to be appointed to account for on time, on budget and safe delivery of the underground project.
- Support near mine exploration and brown fields major capital projects such as the resource extension drilling in order to ensure that operations activities coexists in a mutually efficient manner with the corporate exploration and major project growth initiatives.
- Provision of technical oversight and responsibility for mining operational performance KPIs.
- Directing the on – mine mining team.
- Directing the mine mining contractor (s).
- Provide technical leadership to the mine management particularly through the transition to a new underground mining contractor as well as completing on mine capital projects.
- Lead the mine to mill initiative to ensure optimum operation of the mine.
- Foster a culture of excellence and continuous improvement amongst the team to harness world class health and safety performance standards that the company has achieved so far and cascade these to other areas of the mine.
- Identify relevant operational benchmarks from across the mining industry.
- Contribute to appropriate operations organizational structures to support the achievement of company plans and strategies.
- Drive mining operational best practices and ensure that the business fully optimizes its mineral reserve through a value (as opposed to volume) based approach to diamond mining.
- Liaison with research and development institutes and other centers of excellence with respect to utilization of specialist skills and knowledge to gain competitive edge and position the company as the industry leader in diamond mining technology application.
- Selection, training and development of senior mining technical staff within the organization.
- Extensive travel to the mine and contractor offices will be required
- Degree in Mining Engineering.
- Fifteen (15) years mining management experience in both open pit and underground mining environment.
- Thorough and demonstrable experience in transition from open pit to underground mining through the various mining life – cycles, from conceptualization through to construction and commissioning.
- Sound knowledge and experience with mine planning software such as Minesight, AutoCAD, GEMS, Mine-2-4D and / or other mine development software.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of mining resource revenue optimization and operational cost drivers.
- Professional membership to a recognized mining professional body.
- Experience in diamond mining will be a strong advantage
- Team player and able to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally.
- Self-starter able to quickly identify, analyze and remedy technical and commercial problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership qualities
- Residential status in Gaborone with travel to mine and contractors in Southern Africa
- Fixed term contract 24 months (renewable)
- USD salary taxed at 25%
Please apply directly, by clicking on the Apply Button and visit www.caglobalint.com for the latest CA Global jobs.
Senior Executive Recruitment Consultant
CA Mining: Global Recruitment
If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.