Afreximbank: Manager, Research (Economic Modelling) – Cairo / Egypt
CA Global Headhunters has been retained by the Afreximbank based in Cairo, Egypt to recruit for this position. For more information on the Afreximbank please visit their website www.afreximbank.com.
Should you meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for the position please apply directly to CA Global Headhunters.
Reference Number: LIP
- Contribution to the enhancement of research methodology in the preparation of required studies in the areas of monetary and financial economics as well as economic development issues of importance to Africa.
- Contributing to the development of in-house macroeconomic and financial models, including PD models, Stress testing models, Loan grading Models, Capital adequacy models, macroeconomic and financial forecasting models and other relevant models as appropriate.
- Collection, organization, and monitoring of key monetary and financial economic and trade data covering the globe, major trading regions, global trade with Africa and intra-African trade to guide Bank policies and operations.
- Macro and financial economic modelling to be applied to relevant variables of interest to the Bank including monetary data.
- Analysing large data and interpreting econometric and statistical output in support of Bank operations and policy formulation.
- Monitoring and updating relevant data of interest to the Bank including balance of payments dynamics for African countries.
- Contributing to the provision of timely and relevant research and analytical support to Business Origination Department/Units and other Department/Units.
- Contributing to the preparation of technical reports, including the African Trade Report, Banking and Finance and Credit Trends in Africa, as well as other periodic reports for dissemination to colleagues, Senior Management and the Board through the Bank’s knowledge management function.
- Building and updating a reliable database covering variables of interest to the Bank.
- Contributing to the preparation of regular research reports to monitor developments in global trade and trade finance as well as the Bank’s key markets and products and providing timely analyses on their likely impact on the African economy and the Bank’s operations.
- Leading ongoing efforts to build time series data on trade, trade finance and banking in Africa.
- Participating in the conduct of cutting-edge research in economics, ranging from theoretical methodological issues to applied economics touching on trade development and financial issues covering sectors such as energy, telecommunications, entertainment, agriculture, manufacturing and services.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- A PhD degree or equivalent in Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics, Financial Economics, or other related field from a recognized University.
- Excellent knowledge of Balance of Payment (BoP) and data analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of African banking and financial landscape including regulation, development, practices, among others.
- Sound and proven experience of at least 8 years in macroeconomic and financial economic analysis, financial economic modelling or economic research and analysis in a Development Finance Institution (DFI) or reputable organization and experience in trade and development economics will be an advantage.
- Proven practical experience in designing models relevant in the financial services sector including (a) PD, LGD models, (b) Stress testing models, (c) Loan grading Models, (d) Capital adequacy models, and (e) other relevant financial forecasting models as appropriate.
- Research capacity in relevant fields demonstrated and supported by a track record of relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing research papers for use by the financial services industry and an expert understanding of quantitative and qualitative research and econometric and statistical methods.
- Demonstrated experience in financial modelling and developing forecasting models.
- Ability to analyse and interpret econometrics and statistical outputs.
- Excellent knowledge of growth and trade-related model.
- Good knowledge of statistical and econometric software for economic, finance and trade analysis (e.g. SPSS, STATA, E-Views, Mathlab, SAS, MICROFIT, PcGive, Excel spreadsheet, etc.).
- Familiarity with major macroeconomic and trade database including those of World Bank, IMF, ITC, WTO, and UNCTAD.
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments and to represent the Bank at important professional fora where oral presentation of technical and professional papers will be necessary to a technical and professional audience.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English or French; working knowledge of Arabic will be an advantage.
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply