We are recruiting for a self-motivated Technologist
to own the maintenance and evolution of our mission critical Database environment.
Ideally with an engineering education
, you’ll require approximately 8 years
of experience in engineering and operating the Database systems
of a firm with a high demand for excellent performance and availability.
Our client is a global merchant commodities
firm specializing in energy and its associated industries. They focus on identifying value in the production, refinement, transportation and consumption of tradable commodities and anticipating opportunities in the supply chain where they may be under or over-valued.
The organisation has a global reach spanning 11 offices and approximately 360 employees (85 traders and originators).
Duties & Responsibilities, KPA:
Education & Experience Required:
- To perform day-to-day maintenance of the corporate Database Systems supporting the front, middle and back offices of the firm – primarily Enterprise Trade and Risk Management Systems (ETRM).
- Analyze, test and implement physical database design supporting various business applications including requirements gathering, solution analysis and design and delivery, documentation, and operational guidelines. Ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity, and capacity demands for platforms.
- Resolve problems and requests relative to Database Platforms and interfaces.
- Perform DB performance monitoring and tuning; monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions.
- Maintain database backup and recovery environment; Respond quickly to refresh data; verify implementation of correct backup strategy; develop recovery procedures.
- Maintain and update databases to current release and maintenance levels.
- Reorganize database structures as needed: Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or defrag database table spaces, tables, and indexes; provide application development staff optimal development environment with current data.
- Provide assistance in database design as needed: Research and recommend optimal design criteria; publish standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
- Assist in capacity planning and reporting: Monitor file system space, database allocation, etc.; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim dead space; optimize space allocation and avoid out-of-space conditions.
- Provide the appropriate tools, procedures, and facilities for creating and maintaining the entity data enterprise model.
- Produce: database normalization schemas, logical to physical database mapping, and data table parameters.
- Review overall physical database structures for data integrity, performance quality, recoverability, maintenance, and space requirement considerations.
- Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of Database Administration (DBA) tools and new DBMS technologies.
- Perform change management, impact analyses, and research products, configure software, and establish standards and procedures that support the Company’s database environment needs.
- Application-oriented database administration and technical support for the various development, training, testing, and production requirements of relational database environments.
- Assist in the definition and development of database documentation and standards.
- Conduct application transaction volume and traffic analysis and interpret impact on database and network performance.
- Ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity, and space requirements for physical databases are met through formulations and monitoring of policies, procedures, and standards related to database management.
- Provide appropriate consulting, interfacing, and training for information systems users. Monitors and reports transaction activity and database utilization.
- Provide assistance to programmers, operators, and various technical personnel in SQL code design.
- Establish and maintain security and integrity controls.
- 10 years’ experience in database development, support and maintenance
- Microsoft and Sybase database platform
- Performance-tuning, Query optimization, Security of database platform and Underlying data and applications
- Sybase ASE Database Administration
- Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration
- Database Architecture Design
- Database performance management
- Project leadership / technical lead
- Excellent technical troubleshooting
- Verbal and written communication
- Ensure accurate, appropriate, and effective use of data, including database definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, and operational guidelines
- Understand assigned database platform to be competent in performance-tuning, query optimization and security of the database platform upon which it runs
- Review database design and integration of client/server’s systems and make recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements
- Be on call for 24 hour on-call rotation problem support
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer
- Sybase and MS SQL Server Database Administrator certifications
Chief Technology Officer
: ±7 operations engineers
Jan 2020 (sooner if possible)