The Senior SBCC Technical Advisor will lead the design and implementation of evidence‐based social and behaviour change communication (SBCC)
across multi‐sectoral programmes. The focus of the Senior SBCC Technical Advisor will be both to support paper-based/print based SBCC as well as digital health solutions and virtual SBCC platforms. The position is based in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas
Technical Design and oversight
Quality Assurance and Quality improvement
- Design social behavioural change and communication/marketing (SBCC) technical programme framework and implementation toolkit based on evidence‐based SBCC strategies Globally, regionally and across implementing countries
- Oversee the implementation of the SBCC programme across country programmes while providing technical assistance for adaptations that meet local and donor needs
- Provide high-quality technical assistance to core and country programs in support of effective programming across SBCC and/or market‐based activities
- Identify promising innovative SBCC and marketing strategies globally and within country programs, develop program guidance, and provide day-to-day support for collaboration, adaptation and learnings
- Actively contribute to the project’s technical direction by developing strategies and partnerships to increase program coverage, visibility, and resource availability
- Provide technical oversight and capacity building support for the roll out, implementation and scale up of SBCC interventions starting with the current eService delivery range
- Facilitate global and regional linkages to ensure development of quality, evidence‐based technical tools and guides used to increase capacity of and support to global sector priorities .
- Collaborate with the project’s monitoring and evaluation staff to carry out operations research related to program delivery and contribute to other research efforts as needed.
- Lead the development of quality assurance and quality improvement framework for SBCC interventions
- Lead data-driven performance reviews for independent SBCC projects or those implemented as an integral part of broader country programs
- Conduct regular capacity development for social and behavioural change among teams including communications, country technical teams and DPTS counterparts
Representation and Advocacy
- Lead the conceptualization of new projects as part of business development/ or fundraising
- Provide innovative and responsive technical direction including skills development to increase the portfolio in SBCC beyond Peer-to-Peer interpersonal communication
- Write technical concepts for DPTS-led responses to funding and
- Participate in global networks to represent and advocate for increased commitments to SBCC strategies
- Design or contribute to research and analysis to develop SBCC strategies, including psychographic and consumer research and market assessments
- Provide up‐to‐date, evidence based technical and policy briefs, and develop or manage the creation of evidence‐ based program standards with key stakeholders.
- Participate in program design and development of implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentation, advocacy and policy meetings), as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Supervise consultants, and mentor Technical Specialists and/or Program Officers to facilitate professional growth and development.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Behavioural Science, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in non-profit/NGO/international development or philanthropic programme or project management, with a focus on public health
- Experience with SBCC intervention design and content development is a must
- Experience of writing funding/business development concept notes and proposals and reports.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and with multi-cultural teams.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders such as government, NGOs, funders and private-sector partners.
- Experience with U.S. Government-funded programmes, multilateral and bilateral donors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent writing skills including analytical reports and proposals.
- Strong research, analytical and interpretative skills.
- Highly organized, reliable, with excellent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
- Strong IT skills essential, including MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Willingness to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa.