Principal Geotechnical Engineer – Underground Mining (Rock Mechanics / Design / Audits / Structural Geology) – Johannesburg, South Africa
Reference Number: 71 0402 RR
Our client is seeking a highly skilled principal underground geotechnical/rock mechanics engineer in their Johannesburg office. The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 20 years of relevant geotechnical consulting and design experience in underground mining and be able to develop and lead a team of engineers and geoscientists to service underground mining clients in the Europe, Africa, and Australasia regions.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Underground mine stability assessment and design including site investigation programs, structural analysis, kinematic assessments, and rock mass characterization.
- Ground support design for underground portals, drifts, stopes, and shafts.
- Geotechnical design of underground stope pillars, crown pillars, and backfill support.
- Ground control inspection and design audits of operating underground mines.
- Design of geomechanical monitoring programs.
- Interpretation of geotechnical instrumentation data.
- Advanced knowledge of 2D and 3D stability analysis and numerical modeling software for ground support and design including Dips, UnWedge, RS2, RS3, EX3, RocSupport, FLAC, FLAC3D, and Map3D.
- Independent review of geotechnical design studies.
- Strong background in project management and business development, with ability to independently source clients.
- Strong technical, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and report writing skills.
- Ability and willingness to mentor and train junior and intermediate engineers
- Business development skills including presentation of workshops and marketing.
- Willingness to travel internationally and to remote locations.
Benefits and Contractual information:
- Bachelor’s degree in geological/geotechnical engineering from a recognized university
- Minimum of 20 years of related work experience.
- A post graduate degree would be considered a strong asset.
- Eligibility for registration as a Pr.Sci.Nat. or Pr.Eng. in South Africa.
- Competitive compensation packages that include performance bonus and equity incentives along with attractive benefits packages.
- Permanent Employment Opportunity
Please visit www.camining.com
for more exciting opportunities.
CA Mining will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.