Reference Number: RSB
A leading Development finance institution is currently seeking an Investment Director to join their investment team within their Private Equity fund. This client is currently setting up a wholly – owned Investment holding company to carry out its Equity investments. This individual will be responsible for supporting the CEO in delivering the Investment strategy and overseeing the implementation of the Private Equity fund across Francophone Africa. They will report directly to the CEO and will be based in Cairo, Egypt.
- Support the CEO in delivering the fund’s investment strategy and oversee the implementation/setup of the private equity fund (GP) and investment subsidiary.
- Manage Fund of Funds and Direct Investments (Normal Investment and Special Situations Investment) for the fund.
- Actively participate in the Board and Investment Committee meetings of the PE fund (GP) and investment subsidiary.
- Lead the investment process including deal sourcing, initial deal screening, conduct preliminary analysis and evaluation, structuring and due diligence, asset management and reporting and exit planning.
- Provide strategic direction for the execution of each fund’s objectives including fund raising, investor relations, fund management and reporting and general operations oversight.
- Responsible for business development and generating investment pipeline.
Business Development and Generating Investment Pipeline
- Provide leadership support and strategic direction in the execution of each funds’ mandate.
- Prepare and implement the strategic and annual plans for each fund and ensure that these are formally updated on a regular basis.
- Provide advice to the Board on rebalancing, asset management, fund level control and investment mandate compliance for the combined assets under management in each fund.
Fund Raising and Investor Relations
- Attract and retain a long-term and balanced investor base.
- Work with the team to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Present the fund’s views and provide information on its investment management operations in internal and external forums.
- Establish relationships within the global investment community e.g. investment managers, dealer counterparties, central banks and other professionals operating in financial services industry.
- Develop the fund’s communications and media profile.
- Manage communications with external stakeholders.
Initial Deal Screening
- Develop and deliver fund raising strategy for the fund.
- Develop diverse range of sustainable funding to support the fund’s objectives.
- Play a key role and be instrumental in providing information to various appropriate investors to support fund raising efforts.
- Engage donors and investors and prospective donors and investors to discuss the current and potential impact of each investment.
- Ensure that the potential transactions are in line with the fund’s strategy, development impact objectives and highlight relevant regulatory and reputational risks, conflict of interest and environmental and social issues.
- Ensure that there is thorough preliminary analysis and evaluation of potential transactions and validation of the investment thesis prior to the deal being presented to the investment committee.
- Lead financial, legal, commercial and ESG due diligence activities.
- Manage and interact with the different consultants as regards making investment decisions.
- Build a detailed financial model.
- Ensure that the Final Investment Approval Memo to IC meets best in class standards with minimal rejection rates at the IC.
- Finalize negotiations of shareholder rights and deal structure.
Business Operations Management
- Ensure preparation of investment approval document containing a detailed analysis on the investment opportunity, deal structure and terms and the results of the detailed legal, financial, commercial and other specialist due diligence on the portfolio company.
- Develop and maintain internal guidelines to support the management of investment portfolio in accordance with each fund’s investment strategy.
- Serve as the senior investment executive and an expert in all aspects of investment management from deal-flow to execution.
- Review published trade research reports of portfolio companies and sectors.
- Interact with the management of portfolio companies and review performance on regular basis.
- Discuss with portfolio companies the strategies or action steps to enhance performance.
- Inform the Board on investment management activities and the developments within each fund through regular reporting.
- Oversee the compilation of periodic reports (monthly, quarterly and annual reports).
- Distribute investor quarterly and annual reports.
- Independently monitor and report on industry trends to minimize investment risks.
- Ensure that there is proper financial completion of procedures of transactions and relevant memoranda prepared.
- Ensure preparation of watch list reports if required and enhance active management.
Investment Exit Management
- Propose an annual budget and cost framework for business operations to the fund’s Board.
- Prepare and deliver reports on proposed investments to the fund’s Board.
- Assist the CFO in preparing the required monthly, quarterly and yearly reports.
Leadership and People Management
- Develop exit strategy for the fund in case of maturity or declining value.
- Perform an ongoing review of the exit strategy.
- Oversee exit activities to ensure expected value is realized from portfolio companies.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Provide oversight, direction and coaching to team members.
- Create an enabling environment that empowers staff to achieve set goals and objectives.
- Provide appropriate assignments and experiences to support the learning and development of team members.
- Carry out regular reviews and assessment of all staff once a year.
- Demonstrate high standards of ethical behavior and integrity.
- Address inappropriate behavior demonstrated by team members and handle accordingly as set out in the company policy.
- Perform other duties assigned by the management and/or Board or related committees.
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university with MBA/MSc or PhD/DBA in relevant field.
- Relevant internationally recognized professional certification such as CFA/CPA/ACCA.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in private equity with profound understanding of origination, structuring, business valuation and closing of investment banking deals and/or Fund management.
- Excellent oral and written communication, business presentation and analytical skills with good general knowledge of key investment sectors.
- Strong business acumen, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with highest levels of management of financial institutions.
- Experience in a start-up within the financial services or private equity space.
- Experience in disposing or exiting investments.
- Strong quantitative skills that can be applied to developing original financial models as well as reviewing the quantitative work of other team members.
- Knowledge of investments risk management.
- Proven experience in managing people.
- Knowledge of impact investing and prior experience working or interacting with DFIs in Africa.
- Deal sourcing, evaluation and execution experience in Africa.
- Strong track record of raising equity financing for companies operating in Africa.
- Deep understanding of the Group's mandate and strategy.
- Fluent communication skills in both English & French.
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo, Egypt.
Please apply directly, by clicking on the ‘apply button’
and visit www.caglobalint.com
for the latest CA Global jobs.
CA Global Finance
Should you not receive a response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.