Our client is seeking a skilled General Manager whose overall responsibility is to oversee the operations of the mine to meet targets, improve efficiencies, ensure safety, minimize risk and oversee execution through sound team leadership, co-ordination, monitoring and on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Proactive in continually communicating and collaborating across departments to share knowledge and best practices.
- A key focus is to continually improve, refine and re-engineer how things are done in line with internal and/or external best practice.
- Requires systematic analysis to fix problems so that they do not recur.
- While broad goals are specified, there is a requirement identify and choose from a range of possible methods to achieve a specific goal.
- Fixes problems by analyzing why they occurred and developing criteria to identify and facilitate a best-fit solution. Once agreed, the role-holder owns and manages the practical implementation of the solution.
- Work with MD and leadership team to translate strategic objectives into goals and action plans for the mine
- Oversee implementation of plans and policy framework at the mine and keep the MD informed of progress against agreed goals and objectives
- Implement agreed goals, metrics, and process for measuring the company’s performance with respect to sustainability including safety, health, environmental, community engagement and government relations objectives
- Take accountability for the successful implementation of committed projects
- Ensure business adherence to regulatory, key risk and compliance requirements
- Monitor changes in regulations and legislation and ensure business is informed by rolling out necessary education and/or policy changes
- Work with the MD to set long and short-range financial objectives
- Prepare budgets and produce regular reports about production levels, costs and other issues
- Meet / exceed budget and revenue targets
- Interrogate expenses and drive cost efficiencies
- Prepare financial reports for management that clearly explain operational effectiveness, trends and variances
- Work closely with the MD to ensure the mine has sufficient capacity, resources, and skills to manage its financial integrity
- Ensure measurement of performance against agreed financial targets
- Builds sounds relationships with local regulatory authorities
- Direct the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure adherence to mining, operational and legal standards
- Work with the MD and mine management team to strengthen risk identification and mitigation processes, particularly at the outset of projects
- Implement systems to mitigate and manage safety and risk
- Co-ordinate resolution of audit findings
- Manage escalated issues and their communication to the MD
- Provide sound team leadership to achieve excellent results
- Lead through example and living the code of conduct
- Create an enabling environment for the development and empowerment of people and recognize value-added performance
- Drive and monitor adherence to company policies and procedures, corporate governance and relevant legislation
Benefits and Contractual information:
- B Sc Engineering (Metallurgy, Chemical or Mining) or relevant undergraduate degree (e.g. Geology)
- Holds a valid Blasting Certificate and Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competence
- Complies with relevant legal appointment requirements
- 8+ years’ experience in an operating mine, with a track record of safety management, project development, business improvement and team leadership
- 8+ years’ conventional, trackless and board and pillar experience
- Able to handle volatile communities and ensure environmental and corporate social investment concerns are managed as strategic focus areas
- Valid Medical Certificate of Fitness, including certification for heat tolerance
- No major sensory restrictions
- Tolerance for working at heights
- Occasional exposure to radiation
- Excellent hand-eye co-ordination
- Able to focus and maintain concentration in physically stressful and demanding conditions
- Irregular working hours
- English + Shona and Ndebele (advantageous)
Ideally residential status appointment
Please apply directly by clicking on the ‘apply now button’
and visit www.camining.com
for the latest CA Mining jobs.
Senior Executive Recruitment Consultant
Should you not receive a response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful. Your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.