Our client is a Pan-African Development Financial Institution with a focus on infrastructure investment and they are currently seeking an Associate VP, Special Assets Management who will be responsible for the active management, as well as restructuring, of distressed assets across the client’s investment portfolio.
Distressed Asset Restructuring and Management (DARM)
- Manage and lead the restructuring of clients distressed investment portfolio, cutting across client’s priority sector areas - Heavy Industries & Telecoms, Natural Resources (Oil & Gas, and Mining), Power, Transport and Logistics and such other sectors that may arise in the future.
- Engage the respective Portfolio Sector Officers, Sector heads as well as Transaction teams, including Legal and Finance, in understanding the distressed asset(s) to deliver on the DARM mandate of the assigned distressed investment portfolio in line with organizational goals to the benefit of the client’s shareholders.
- Provide a periodic analysis and status update on the DARM portfolio to management, as may be required. Such updates, though not limited to the following, must involve progress made on restructuring, expected resolution timelines, challenges, the status of receivables, recommendations as well as follow up action points.
- Develop and maintain a DARM portfolio dashboard to provide up to date information on distressed investment portfolio to management.
- Proactively seek exit opportunities for debt and equity investments, in the DARM portfolio, that has either been considered problematic/uneconomical by management or such exits have been considered for other reasons, such as strategic ones.
- Monitor and report on macroeconomic indicators of the client’s priority sectors, country market conditions as well as social and political information that are relevant to the distressed investment portfolio.
- Be actively involved in the resolution of any operational or business challenges or bottlenecks in identified targets within the DARM portfolio
- Supervise the contribution of Portfolio Management staff to the management and restructuring of distressed assets.
Equity Investment Restructuring and Management
- Monitor and recommend ways to enhance the client’s equity investments returns by identifying areas of business optimization; quantify the valuation impact of such improvement(s), propose solutions and pursue implementation of approved solutions to optimize shareholder value.
- For the client’s publicly listed equity investments, provide quarterly report and a compelling investment case to management for a hold, sell or accumulate decision. This also could apply to unlisted equities.
- For the client’s unlisted equity investments provide periodic valuation update to senior management at least semi-annually with an outlook and recommendation on the investment.
- For identified and approved equity exits, draw out an implementation plan that identifies all stakeholders, timelines, regulatory hurdles, responsible parties and potential investors to approach for a sell down.
- Prepare a robust equity valuation dashboard that compares the relevant equity valuation metrics of the client’s equity investments to regional and global peers and provide a professional view on how client’s equity investments compare with peers. The use of Bloomberg, as well as other tools, for equity valuation and peer comparables is an added advantage.
- Recommend ways to restructure client’s equity investments into other instruments (debt and/or mezzanine) as may be required by senior management in line with the Corporation’s strategic requirements.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Work collaboratively with the relevant teams in the Investment Division as well as across divisions and investee companies, facility agents and other stakeholders to deliver on the mandate of the DARM function.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant parties in investee companies in the assigned DARM portfolio.
- Clear evidence of banking relationships across Africa’s regional Investment Banks and other markets that can provide access to debt and equity exits.
- Ability to establish and maintain a sound relationship with external stakeholders over a short period.
- Relate with Sector Heads and the Transaction teams as well as other staff across the Corporation as required.
- Discharge other duties that may be assigned.
- Master’s degree from a leading University in finance or related discipline
- Relevant professional qualifications/certifications related to finance such as CFA will be advantageous
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant experience, with at least 5 years in a banking institution managing distressed assets
- A strong working understanding of at least two of client’s priority Sectors. These priority sectors include Heavy Industries & Telecoms, Natural Resources (Oil & Gas, and Mining), Power, Transport and Logistics
- Deep understanding of macro trends, business cycles and how these impact business performance and implications for distressed assets in the DARM portfolio
- Excellent understanding of sector and credit cycle, as well as the credit process
- Sound knowledge of debt and equity transactions, including a demonstrated understanding of equity valuation methods
- Very strong finance/credit background with demonstrated quantitative and negotiation skills. Proven financial modelling skills, financial analysis, equity valuation to analyze investments
- An excellent and demonstrable understanding of equity valuations and the workings of the global equity markets.
- Credit and investment review capacity
- Proficiency in Bloomberg, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Fluency in writing and speaking English is mandatory. Fluency in writing and speaking French could be an added advantage
- 3 years contract with potential to renew
- Travel may be required
If you wish to apply for the position directly, please send your CV
to Lise Kotze
Please visit www.banking-recruitment-jobs.com
for more exciting opportunities.
CA Global Finance will respond to short-listed candidates only
. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful, however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.